Going for Growth
The Church's ministry with and among children and young people
is driven by a desire to engage with God's mission here on earth.
The Education Division of the Archbishops' Council presented the
report Going for Growth to General Synod
in February 2010. It explores the current context of children and
young people and calls the Church to action in its engagement with
them at national, diocesan and parochial level.
Going for Growth offers:
- A snap shot of life for children and young people in England in
- Examples of how the Church is engaging with children and young
people in informal and voluntary settings
- A theological framework
- Guiding principles
- A missional context expressed in the Five Marks of Mission
A call to action
Theology and principles
- Children and young people are made in the image of God (Genesis
1:26, 27). Therefore we must recognise their worth and value, in
whatever context we engage with them.
- We are called to be in relationship with God, each other and
the created order (Ezekiel 36:26-28; Acts 2:46, 47; Genesis 1:26).
Therefore we must offer children and young people the possibility
of a relational encounter with God, and build relationships with
them that are open, honest and offer quality and depth.
We are called to live out our faith as active citizens of the
Kingdom of God on earth (Micah 6:8; Luke 9:1, 2). Therefore our
work with and among children and young people must reflect the
values of the Kingdom and recognise the part that children and
young people have to play in establishing God's Kingdom here on
A Call to Action
The Church, at National, Diocesan and Parochial level, is called
- work towards every child and young person having a
life-enhancing encounter with the Christian faith and the person of
- transformation both in the church and in the world, and to
recognise and enable the capacity of children and young people to
be the agents of change both for themselves and for others
- provide professional support and development for all those
working with children and young people in the name of the Church,
so that they might demonstrate the highest qualities in their
practice and personal life.
Going for Growth Website