Church Workers Pension Fund

The Church Workers Pension Fund (CWPF) offers benefits to non ordained church staff and has three sections:

  • Defined Benefits Scheme (DBS)
  • Pension Builder Classic (PB Classic)
  • Pension Builder 2014 (PB 2014)

You may be a member of more than one section.

Defined Benefits Scheme

This is a final salary pension scheme, where your pension is calculated as a proportion of your final pensionable salary for each year and month of employment.

To find out more, please read the DBS Members' Guide.


Pension Builder Classic

PB Classic is a hybrid pension scheme which means it is a mix between a defined benefit and a defined contibution scheme.

When contributions are received each month they are converted into a guaranteed pension payable from normal retirement age.

To find out more, please read the PB Classic Members' Guide.

Pension Builder 2014

PB 2014 is a cash balance scheme which guarantees that the same amount of contributions will be available at normal retirement age, which is then used to provide retirement beenfits.

To find our more, please read the PB 2014 Members' Guide.

Additional Voluntary Contributions

Youi can increase your retirement benefits by paying Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs). If you are interested in this please read our CWPF AVCs page.

State Pensions

Your benefits are in addition to your State Pension. You can find out more about your State benefits at our State Pension page.

Planning for retirement

Planning for retirement is vital, and the transition between working life and retirement is made easier if you plan early. To find out more please see our planning for retirement page.

Keep your pension safe!

Pensions are becoming an increasingly attractive target for fraudsters and other criminals because of the new pension freedoms. Please be careful with cold calls, texts or letters from people or organisations making claims that they can help you access your pension.

If you are in any doubt about your options or the advice you have been given, you should talk to The Pensions Regulator or a regulated Independent Financial Adviser.

You can find out more about keeping your pension safe at the Pensions Regulator's website: