The Corporation of The Church House
Corporation of The Church House was founded in 1888 as the
Church of England's permanent tribute to Queen Victoria's Golden
Jubilee. Its principal instigator, Dr Harvey Goodwin (Bishop of
Carlisle), saw it as the national administrative headquarters and
likened it to a "chapter-house for the Church of England". Land was
quickly acquired in Dean's Yard, close to the Palace of Westminster
and Westminster Abbey, but the existing tenancies meant that only a
fraction of the original design could be built in the early
Today, the building is the headquarters of the Archbishops'
Council, the Church Commissioners and all its Boards and Councils
as well as of the Church of England Pensions Board and the National
Society. It is the meeting-place, twice each year, of the General
Synod of the Church of England.
It also houses the very successful Conference
Centre at Church House, the trading subsidiary of the Royal
Chartered Corporation which owns and operates the building.
Chris Palmer CBE is Secretary to the Corporation of The Church
The Corporation of Church House,
Great Smith Street,
Telephone: 020 7898 1311
Fax: 020 7898 1321