Parental Benefits

Can I claim Maternity or Paternity pay?

Yes, because you pay Class 1 National Insurance contributions, you are normally eligible to receive paid leave if you have a baby or adopt a child.

Please note that SMP, SAP, SPP and ShPP represent the statutory minimum entitlement to pay while you are not working. It may be the policy of the body funding your stipend to provide more generous arrangements for paid leave, as well as a period of unpaid leave. When contemplating taking parental leave you must liaise with the body funding your stipend about their particular policies.

Under the Ecclesiastical Offices (Terms of Service) Directions 2010, office holders are entitled to maternity, paternity, parental and adoption leave for the same periods and subject to the same conditions as apply in the case of an employee under the Employment Rights Act 1996, or any regulations made under that Act that have effect at the time when the Directions came into force on 1 January 2011. This includes additional paternity leave (APL) and additional statutory paternity pay (ASPP).

There are four types of payment available:

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)

Click here for more information if you're expecting a baby.

Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP)

Click here for more information if you're adopting a child.

Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP)

Click here for more information if your partner is expecting a baby.

Shared Parental Pay (ShPP)

Click here for more information

Administering your claim

As soon as we receive your claim, and date you plan to start your leave, we will check your eligibility and notify you of your entitlement. If for any reason you do not qualify, we will advise you what other help may be available.

In all cases, if your spouse is employed, the appropriate claim should also be made to his or her employer.

Childcare Voucher Scheme

If you use a registered or approved childcare provider our Childcare Voucher Scheme may help you with your childcare costs [more details]