Your Stipend FAQs

When will my stipend be paid into my account?

Your stipend will be paid into your bank account via the Bankers' Automated Clearing System (BACS) on the last working day of the month (i.e. Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays).
If the date changes for any reason, we will let you know.

A monthly pay statement is sent to you setting out the calculation of your payment, detailing deductions for income tax, National Insurance etc. Your statement can be accessed via My View.
Click here for more information regarding MyView

The statement should reach you by pay day, even if it does not, the money will be credited to your bank account on pay day.

What do I do if my bank details change?

Log on to MyView to change your bank details. Whenever possible, you should give us at least a month's notice of any bank changes.
Click here for more information regarding MyView

What is my employment status?

Holders of parochial appointments are not normally employed.
Click here for more information regarding Common Tenure

What about my parochial expenses?

We offer a helpful guide published by the Archbishops' Council.
Click here for more information regarding Parochial expenses

What about income tax?

As an office holder, you come within the Pay As You Earn system, where we are required by law to deduct tax from your stipend at source.
Click here for more information

Are there any tax-free allowances?

Yes, part of your stipend may be paid free of tax and National Insurance in reimbursement of heating, lighting, cleaning and garden upkeep costs.
Click here for more information regarding the HLC Scheme

What about National Insurance?

For national insurance purposes you are an `employed earner` and as such you are liable for Class 1 National Insurance contributions.
Click here for more information

What about my pension contribution?

When you start on our payroll you should be automatically entered into the Church of England Pension Scheme. The scheme is a non-contributory scheme which means your funding body pays contributions on your behalf.
Click here to vist the Chuch of England Pensions Board website

What will my stipend be?

Please contact the funding body of your stipend for confirmation of what the stipend should be - in most cases this is your diocesan board of finance.

The information contained in the following pages is, to the best of our knowledge, correct at the time of publishing to the Internet, but is liable to alteration at any time due to changes in tax regulations etc.

Cycle to Work Scheme.

The Church Commissioners have looked at the Cycle to Work scheme for clergy but it is not something that we can offer on the central payroll.
Click here for more information regarding the Cycle to Work Scheme