What is my employment status?

What is my employment status?

If you hold a parochial office, you are not employed nor do you have a contract of employment, or an employer.

For tax purposes, you are an "office holder". This means you are taxed through the PAYE system in the same way as an employed person. The Church Commissioners fill the role of the employer but only for national insurance purposes. Click here for [more] information.

For national insurance and state benefit purposes, you are treated as an "employed earner" and the Church Commissioners are regarded as your employer. Click here for [more] information.

Clergy appointed to an Ecclesiastical Office after 31 January 2011 hold their Office under Common Tenure.

Common Tenure is part of a framework of terms of service that brings security, clarity and the opportunity for people to work together to encourage and support ministry [more].

Click here to return to the information main page