The purpose of the SMF is to
- Provide financial support for growth in the number of clergy.
- funding will be deployed to support growth in the number of curates against a baseline
- the full incremental cost including pensions and housing will be considered
- Tailor the level of funding support so it is proportionately higher for those dioceses that need it most.
- Ensure the funding has the best possible impact through ensuring well planned and executed deployment and development.
The distribution of funds will be handled by a new body to be known as the Strategic Ministry Board, to be chaired by the Chair of Ministry Council, with four members from Ministry Council and members from the Strategic Investment Board. The Director of Ministry will staff the Strategic Ministry Board.
£2.8m has been made available for the first, exceptional, year of grants to assist dioceses in meeting the cost of additional curacies in 2020. A shortened and simplified application process will be used in this instance to help dioceses under financial pressure as the first cohorts of additional curates come on stream as a result of the rise in the number of candidates for ordination.
Any questions about the SMF should be addressed to the Director of Ministry in the first instance.