The three awards were for:
- Climate Related Risk Management
- ESG (Environment, Social and Governance)
- Real Estate
Notably, the Commissioners received a near perfect score of 19.75 points out of a possible 20 for Climate Related Risk Management, being recognised for achievements such as:
- A comprehensive climate policy, which was launched last year in advance of the COP21 Paris Climate Conference
- a pivotal focus on engagement and shareholder resolutions
- ensuring the reduction of the portfolio's carbon footprint through investment and divestment strategy.
Edward Mason, Head of Responsible Investment for the Church Commissioners, said "We are thrilled with these awards. They reflect our commitment to responsible investment, good governance and acting on climate change. There is still much work to be done, and of course in the long term the prize that really matters is meeting the two degree target agreed in Paris last year."
The Church Commissioners were also shortlisted for the top award of Best European Pension Fund at last night's ceremony.
Since being launched in 2001, the IPE Conference & Awards has become Europe's largest annual gathering of pension funds and their service providers. The three prizes last night top a successful year for the Commissioners, having also won two prizes at the Portfolio Institutional Awards in April.