First World War Centenary Cathedral Repairs Fund 2014-2018
The First World War Centenary Cathedral Repairs Fund is now closed
The Fund had three objectives:
- To carry out necessary repair works to the fabric of the listed Anglican and Catholic cathedral churches in England
- To carry out repairs to prevent further deterioration of the fabric of the listed buildings
- To ensure the listed buildings were in a good and safe state of repair in order to host events commemorating the First World War
The Fund was open to any listed Anglican or Catholic cathedral in England. Applications were for a minimum of £10,000.
There was no maximum grant, but grants of more than £500,000 were exceptional.
Applications for grants were assessed by an independent expert panel using the following criteria:
- Necessity of the repair and consideration of the further damage that might be caused by delay
- The heritage significance of the listed building
- Financial need
Who was awarded grants?
Grants were awarded to 57 cathedrals in England: 41 Church of England and 16 Catholic.
As part of the independent evaluation, individual summaries were produced of each of the 130 funded projects.