If you are unable to work because you are ill, you need to follow the procedure set out by your funding body, usually your diocesan board of finance. There will be a named person that you need to notify about any sickness. Please refer to your diocesan website, diocesan handbook, statement of particulars, or contact your funding body directly for further guidance.

We will record any sickness and make a claim for statutory sick pay on your behalf. You will need to make a formal claim by completing form SC2. If you are unable to work for more than a week, you will need a doctor's medical certificate. Please forward these documents to your funding body who will pass them on to us.

During the period of illness we will continue to pay you a stipend under the direction of your funding body. If for any reason you are not entitled to statutory sick pay, we will write to you with further advice.

Any individuals displaying symptoms of coronavirus can get an isolation note from NHS 111 online, and those living with someone symptomatic of COVID-19 can get a note from the NHS website. The NHS 111 website asks several questions to assess if the individual is displaying symptoms of coronavirus, an isolation note will be emailed to the relevant address if appropriate. If the answers are completed and suggest that the individual is not displaying symptoms of coronavirus, a page will appear to inform them of that fact.

Long term illness

We are responsible for paying the first 28 weeks of statutory sick pay, we will write to you with further advice towards the end of this period.

Please contact your funding body directly for details about their policy for paying stipend after the first 28 weeks of illness.

Source URL: https://www.churchofengland.org/resources/clergy-resources/national-clergy-hr/clergy-payroll/what-happens-if-i-am-ill