Accessibility features for hosts
Meeting hosts with a Zoom pro account can turn on live translation so that a meeting can include subtitles. This can help you create an accessible online experience for all. This feature will provide automatic subtitles when turned on, however, currently only works during meetings, not webinars, where a third party provider such as Rev can be used.
To enable Closed captioning for meetings:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings
- In the navigation panel, click Account Management then Account Settings
- Click the Meeting tab
- Under In Meeting (Advanced), verify that Closed captioning is enabled
- If the setting is disabled, click the toggle to enable it. If a verification dialog box appears, click Enable to verify the change.
Note, this feature is enabled for hosts with Zoom pro, Business, or Enterprise accounts.
2. Multi spotlight
The host can spotlight multiple videos in a Zoom meeting to highlight an interpreter and speaker so everyone sees them, no matter who is speaking.
To add a spotlight for everyone:
- In the meeting, hover over the attendee you wish to spotlight
- Click the three dots that appear in the top right once hovered over
- Click Spotlight for everyone
- Repeat for as many people as you would like to spotlight.
To remove a spotlight:
- Hover over the attendee you wish to remove from spotlight
- Click Remove spotlight in the top left of their video.
Note, this feature is only available to the host of the meeting.
Accessibility features for participants
1. Accessibility settings
Zoom has a range of accessibility features which can be customised by individuals. Font size for chat and captions can be increased, and those using screen readers can customise the settings.
You can view and edit accessibility settings in the Zoom desktop client:
- First, make sure you have installed Zoom on your laptop or tablet. If not, download it here
- Once downloaded, you'll need to sign in, or create an account
- Once signed in, click your Profile picture then click Settings
- Click on Accessiblity in the left-hand menu
- From here, change the font size for captions and chat, and adjust your screen reader settings.
Note, captions will be visible during a meeting where the host has a Zoom pro account, and has turned on live translation.
2. Video display
Meeting participants can re-order videos on their screen to create a view which is only visible to them. Drag the videos to re-order them while the meeting is in-progress or use Pin to highlight videos no matter who is speaking.
To add one or more pinned videos:
- In the meeting, hover over the video you wish to pin
- Click the three dots in the top right hand corner of the video
- Click Pin
- Repeat for as many videos as you would like to pin to your view.
To cancel a pinned video:
- Hover over the video you wish to unpin
- Press Remove pin in the top left hand corner of the video.
We've highlighted only a few of the tools available for meeting hosts and participants. For more, take a read here.