Review of the Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011 (MPM)
The Archbishop’s Council have asked the Legislative Reform Committee (LRC) to oversee a review of the Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011 (MPM). The main aim is to simplify the legislation and processes associated with the administrative reorganisations of dioceses and the re-use of churches which are no longer needed for regular public worship. We expect to publish a Green Paper in the summer of 2021 for discussion and consultation, and this will then lead to a new Measure being drafted and approved. The main areas the review will consider are:
- The re-design of the Measure into primary and secondary legislation.
- The streamlining and simplification of the Measure’s processes.
- The system for delivery of the Measure including staffing and funding.
The headline timetable is as follows:
- Phase 1: Developing the evidence base – November 2020 to June 2021
- Phase 2: Publication of Green paper for consultation and General Synod debate – July 2021
- Phase 4: Recommendations for draft Measure to General Synod – February 2022
- Phase 5: Draft Measure for First Consideration at General Synod – July 2022
- Phase 6: Revision committee – July to February 2023
- Phase 7: Second consideration – February 2023
- Phase 8: Final approval – General Synod – July 2023
- Phase 9: Ecclesiastical committee approval and crown assent followed by preparation for implementation – 2023/2024
We will publish details of the consultation process as the project develops. If you have any queries about this programme of work please use the form below.