House of Bishops guidance states that once all matters relating to a safeguarding concern or allegation against a church officer have been completed, lessons should be identified and learnt from the case. The guidance is clear that the majority of lessons learnt case reviews will be an internal review but in certain complex cases this may involve commissioning an independent review.
Ongoing independent reviews
- John Smyth review – a review of the Church’s handlings of allegations against the late John Smyth who between 1978-82 violently abused young men linked with the Iwerne Trust, a non-denominational Christian charity.
- Trevor Devamanikkam review – review of the Church’s handling of allegations (relating to sexual abuse of a 15-16 year old in Bradford Diocese in 1984) against the late Revd Trevor Devamanikkam.
- Christ Church, Oxford - review by the Church of England’s Independent Safeguarding Board, ISB, of the handling of safeguarding issues regarding the former Dean of Christ Church, Oxford, Dr Martyn Percy.
- Fr Alan Griffin review (2022)- the Diocese of London has published an independent review into the handling of allegations described by Coroner Mary Hassell in her Regulation 28 Report (9 July 2021) to the Church of England in relation to the death by suicide of Fr Alan Griffin.
- William Scott Farrell (2022)- an independent overview report of his recruitment and appointment at three cathedrals (he was convicted of sexual offences while employed in two, with concerns raised at a third)
- Graham Gregory review (2022) - a lessons learnt review into the handling of allegations in five dioceses relating to the deceased priest.
- Bishop Whitsey review - A Betrayal of Trust (2020), the independent report into the Church's handling of the allegations concerning the late Hubert Victor Whitsey, former Bishop of Chester.
- Independent Review into Church's handling of Bishop George Bell case (2017) and annexes to the review
- NSSG response to Carlile Review recommendations
- An Abuse of Faith (2017) - independent review by Dame Moira Gibb into the Church's handling of the late Bishop Peter Ball case.
- NSSG response to Gibb Review recommendations
- Kendall House review (July 2016) and Kendall House Review update
- Elliott Review findings and response from Bishop Sarah Mullally (2016