These guides are designed to help parishes, dioceses, bishops and cathedrals develop a consistent and best practice approach to looking after church records in their care, whether paper or electronic. There is a separate guide for each specific set of church records. Each guide contains some general records management advice along with detailed guidance on keeping records associated with each area and their retention.
These factsheets cover various records management topics in bite-size sections.
- What is records management (74.4 KB)
- Organising records (108.4 KB)
- Access to records (80.9 KB)
- Copying and Copyright (75.85 KB)
- Safeguarding records management (441.07 KB)
- Looking after electronic records (120.79 KB)
- Looking after emails (112.08 KB)
- Looking after multimedia records (84.02 KB)
- Looking after paper records (100.41 KB)
- Agreements with record offices (89.33 KB)
- Records management glossary (83.87 KB)
The House of Bishops has approved guidance for bishops regarding the content, management and sharing of clergy personal files, also known as 'blue files'.
If you are unable to print, paper copies of all our guides can be requested from the Church of England Record Centre.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 020 7898 1030
Address: 15 Galleywall Road, South Bermondsey, London SE16 3PB