Building the godparent / godchild relationship
Godparents and godchildren have a very special, lifelong relationship. Here are a few ideas for how to enjoy that time together, getting to know each other, getting to wonder at God’s world, and discovering how to bless and pray for one another.
- Pray: complete this prayer for each other using just 10 words: Dear God ……
- Face your fears: do something brave together. That might be looking at a spider or walking through a tunnel, visiting a car wash or dancing in the dark
- Give generously: challenge each other to do something for a charity that you both support
- Little wonder: find the tiniest thing that amazes you about creation and share the joy
- Shine a light: make a visit together to the nearest cathedral or open church and light a candle for each other
- Sky high: choose a moment when you will each stand or sit in the highest place you know and name ten things you see
- Shared names:Each find a pebble/stone and paint a name on it. Remember the name you were given at your christening
- Surprise, Surprise: Be a surprise blessing to each other by doing something unexpected that brings a smile
- Playtime: Play your favourite childhood game together – for real or on Skype – hopscotch or a video game?
- Never too late: teach other a new skill – skimming stones, drumming, ballet, cartwheels – film it to keep the memory if you can!