Information on national structures and national roles supporting safeguarding and providing scrutiny
Lead safeguarding bishops
- Bishop of Huddersfield, Jonathan Gibbs - Overall strategic lead
- Bishop of Bristol, Vivienne Faull - Deputy lead, Safer Church Commission, House of Lords
- Bishop of Southampton, Debbie Sellin - Deputy lead, Safe Spaces and survivor engagement
National Safeguarding Steering Group (NSSG)
This group, established by the Archbishops, is a successor to the House of Bishops' Safeguarding Monitoring and Reference Group. Its membership consists of a range of representatives from across the Church, including the National Church Institutions, dioceses and cathedrals. It is chaired by the Lead Bishop for Safeguarding, Jonathan Gibbs, and staffed by the National Safeguarding Team.
The activities of the NSSG are set out in its Terms of Reference. Members of the NSSG are appointed by the Archbishops and include both lay and clerical representatives. Please see the terms of reference document above for a list of members.
National Safeguarding Panel (NSP)
The NSP was set up to resource the Church of England's leadership (Archbishops' Council and House of Bishops) with good high-level strategic advice and direction on safeguarding, and provide vital reference and scrutiny from a range of voices, including survivors, on the development of policy and guidance. The panel is chaired by Meg Munn and its members also include directors and chief executives of safeguarding charities and organisations, and church leaders and officers.
The NSP's main aims are to:
- Provide visible leadership and excellence
- Promote good safeguarding practice
- Support a survivor perspective
Please see here for the National Safeguarding Panel's Terms of Reference and Membership.
Read the 2020 NSP Annual Report
Read the 2019 NSP Annual Report
The National Safeguarding Team (NST)
- Interim National Director of Safeguarding - Zena Marshall
- Deputy Director, Development - David Worlock
- Deputy Director, Strategy and Casework - Ian Bowles
- Deputy Director, Partnerships - Nathalie Ballard
- Deputy Director, Communications - Rachel Harden
Contact the NST: [email protected]