Information on national structures and national roles supporting safeguarding and providing scrutiny.
Lead safeguarding bishops
- Bishop of Huddersfield, Jonathan Gibbs - overall strategic lead
- Bishop of Bristol, Vivienne Faull - deputy lead, Safer Church Commission, House of Lords
- Bishop of Southampton, Debbie Sellin - deputy lead, Safe Spaces and survivor engagement
The National Safeguarding Steering Group (NSSG)
This group, established by the Archbishops, is a successor to the House of Bishops Safeguarding Monitoring and Reference Group. Its membership consists of a range of representatives from across the Church, to include National Church Institutions, the dioceses and Cathedrals. It is chaired by the Lead Bishop for Safeguarding, Jonathan Gibbs, and staffed by the National Safeguarding Team.
The activities of the NSSG are set out in its Terms of Reference. The membership of the NSSG includes both lay and clerical representation and are appointed by the Archbishops. Please see the terms of reference document above for a list of members.
National Safeguarding Panel (NSP)
The Church of England has published the first report from its National Safeguarding Panel (NSP), set up to provide vital reference and scrutiny from a range of voices, including survivors, on the development of policy and guidance.
The Panel is chaired by Meg Munn and its members also include directors and chief executives of safeguarding charities and organisations, and church leaders and officers. It was set up, following the Chichester safeguarding reports, to resource the Church of England's leadership (Archbishops' Council and House of Bishops) with good high-level strategic advice and direction on safeguarding.
The NSP's main aims are to:
- Provide visible leadership and excellence
- Promote good safeguarding practice
- Support a survivor perspective
Please see here for the National Safeguarding Panel's Terms of Reference and Membership.
Read the 2019 NSP Annual Report
The National Safeguarding Team (NST)
- National Director of Safeguarding - Melissa Caslake
- Deputy Director of Development - David Worlock
- Deputy Director of Strategy and Casework - Zena Marshall
- Deputy Director, Partnerships - Nathalie Ballard
- Deputy Director, Communications - Rachel Harden
Contact the NST: [email protected]