Each of the Church of England's 42 dioceses has a professionally qualifed safeguarding adviser/team - they are the first point of contact for any concerns or queries in their area - see the national map which links to relevant contacts.
The National Safeguarding Team (NST) manages complex safeguarding cases (involving a number of dioceses) and those relating to senior clergy including bishops and deans. The NST is also responsible for leading on House of Bishops policy and practice guidance, and developing safeguarding training.
Below is Information on national structures and roles supporting safeguarding and providing scrutiny
Lead safeguarding bishops
- Bishop of Rochester, Jonathan Gibbs - Overall strategic lead
- Bishop of Bristol, Vivienne Faull - Deputy lead, Safer Church Commission, House of Lords
- Bishop of Birkenhead, Julie Conalty - Deputy lead, survivor engagement
- Bishop of Stepney, Joanne Grenfell to be new lead bishop, from April 2023
National Safeguarding Steering Group (NSSG), established by the Archbishops, has strategic oversight of national safeguarding activity. Its membership consists of a range of representatives from across the Church. The activities of the NSSG and membership are set out in its Terms of Reference.
National Safeguarding Programme - key safeguarding national workstreams
The Independent Safeguarding Board, ISB, was set up in 2021, following a decision by the Archbishops' Council and House of Bishops in 2020 to support the development of an independent structure to deliver professional supervision and quality assurance across its safeguarding activities. The 2020 IICSA Report gave new momentum to this decision.
The National Safeguarding Panel (NSP) was set up in 2014 to resource the Church of England's leadership with high level strategic advice and to offer guidance on policies and practice in safeguarding seeking to ensure that the Church of England meets accepted best practice. The panel has been independently chaired since 2018 by Meg Munn.
The National Safeguarding Team (NST)
- Director of Safeguarding - Alexander Kubeyinje
- Deputy Director, Development - David Worlock
- Deputy Director, Strategy and Casework - Zena Marshall
- Deputy Director, Partnerships - Nathalie Ballard
Contact the NST: [email protected]
Read the complaints handling policy and procedure for the NCIs and associated privacy notice.