A new comprehensive policy (Code) on safeguarding practice reviews (SPR), previously called lessons learned reviews, was approved by General Synod in July 2023. The policy is clear that reflective learning by Church bodies in respect of safeguarding can take different forms. When a situation demands a more formal approach with an independent dimension, a SPR will be commissioned. It is expected these cases will be in the minority.
Ongoing independent reviews
- John Smyth review – a review of the Church’s handlings of allegations against the late John Smyth who between 1978-82 violently abused young men linked with the Iwerne Trust, a non-denominational Christian charity.
- Christ Church, Oxford - review of the handling of alleged safeguarding issues regarding the former Dean of Christ Church, Oxford, Dr Martyn Percy;
Completed reviews & reports
- Trevor Devamanikkam review (2023) - review of the Church’s handling of allegations against Trevor Devamanikkam relating to sexual abuse of a 16 year old in 1984 and later disclosures to senior figures
- 2019-21 diocesan safeguarding data - published February 2023
- Past Cases Review 2 - run in all Church of England dioceses between 2019-2022
- Fr Alan Griffin review (2022) – the Diocese of London has published an independent review into the handling of allegations described by Coroner Mary Hassell in her Regulation 28 Report (9 July 2021) to the Church of England in relation to the death by suicide of Fr Alan Griffin.
- William Scott Farrell (2022) – an independent overview report of his recruitment and appointment at three cathedrals (he was convicted of sexual offences while employed in two, with concerns raised at a third)
- Graham Gregory review (2022) - a lessons learnt review into the handling of allegations in five dioceses relating to the deceased priest.
- Bishop Whitsey review - A Betrayal of Trust (2020), the independent report into the Church's handling of the allegations concerning the late Hubert Victor Whitsey, former Bishop of Chester.
- Independent Review into Church's handling of Bishop George Bell case (2017) and annexes to the review
- NSSG response to Carlile Review recommendations
- An Abuse of Faith (2017) - independent review by Dame Moira Gibb into the Church's handling of the late Bishop Peter Ball case.
- NSSG response to Gibb Review recommendations
- Kendall House review (July 2016) and Kendall House Review update
- Elliott Review findings and response from Bishop Sarah Mullally (2016)
Other key reports
- List of SCIE independent audits of dioceses and Bishopthorpe and Lambeth Palaces
- SCIE Final overview report of the independent diocesan safeguarding audits and additional work on improving responses to survivors of abuse (2019)
- NSSG Response to SCIE Overview Report
- A review of the implementation of the the Church of England safeguarding training and development framework (2018)
- NST Response to the Review of the Implementation of the Church of England Safeguarding Training and Development Framework Report
- Safeguarding Data Report 2018
- Safeguarding Data Report 2015-2017
- Independent Scrutiny Report on the CofE's Original PCR (2018)
- National Safeguarding Summit 2017 Report
- Second overview report on independent audits and National Safeguarding Team response and action plan (2017)
- Report from the National Safeguarding Panel (2016)