Church Schools & Academies
Religious Education Conference 2015
This year's annual Religious Education Conference takes place in
London on Thursday 25th June 2015 at the
Hallam Conference Centre near Oxford Circus.
You can see the conference flier
Following the Church's review of the provision of RE in Church of
England Schools (Making a Difference?:A Review of Religious
Education in Church of England Schools) we welcome subject
leaders from both primary and secondary schools. The focus of
the conference is on improving standards of teaching and learning
To book a place please fill in this booking form and
return to email@example.com.
England schools in numbers
- Approximately 1 million children attend CofE schools
- About 15 million people alive today went to one
- 4,500 (25%) of all primary and middle schools are CofE
- 220 (6%) secondary schools are CofE
- With more than 130 sponsored and 350 converter academies,
the Church is the biggest sponsor of academies in England
- Over 500 independent schools declare themselves to be CofE
- Across the country, CofE clergy dedicate a million hours every
year to working with children and young people in schools, often
providing holiday and after-school activities.
- There are 22,500 Foundation Governors in Church schools
recruited, trained and supported by dioceses.
- Each diocese runs a Diocesan Board of Education supporting
Church schools, which represents an annual investment of over £15
(Figures last updated September 2014)
Inclusive schools for the community
Church of England schools are established primarily for the
communities they are located in. They are inclusive and serve
equally those who are of the Christian faith, those of other faiths
and those with no faith.
Advice from Board of Education/National Society to Diocesan Boards
The Church school system is managed and developed through the
individual dioceses. Each Diocese has a Diocesan Board of
Education (DBE) which is served by a Diocesan Director of Education
(DDE). DBEs oversee local developments and support schools on
a day to day basis.