The Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011 set out the legal procedure for parish reorganisation and for closing consecrated church buildings and settling their future. It was substantially amended by the Mission and Pastoral etc. (Amendment) Measure 2018, most of the provisions of which came into effect on 1st October 2018. The Commissioners ran a series of Conferences for dioceses highlighting the changes that would be brought in by the Amendment Measure, and copies of the presentations given by the Commissioners can be found here.
A full working text of the Measure as amended and in effect on 1st October 2018 can be found below. The changes implemented by the Mission and Pastoral etc. (Amendment) Measure 2018 are highlighted in yellow.
Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011 Code of Practice
The Commissioners have prepared a Code of Recommended Practice to accompany the Measure. This is the primary reference for anyone dealing with proposals for parish reorganisation, closed churches and related matters.
It consists of two volumes: Volume 1 deals with pastoral reorganisation and Volume 2 with consecrated church buildings. They can both be downloaded below.
The Commissioners' Guidance on Deanery Plans can also be found below.
Our forms for parish reorganisation and closed church processes for official use by Dioceses can be found at the bottom of this page.
Please note that we are currently updating many of our Codes of Practice, including the one for the MPM 2011. This is to reflect changes to the law that have now been brought into effect by the Mission and Pastoral etc. (Amendment) Measure 2018. Some of these provisions came into force on 1st July 2018, and most of the others on 1st October 2018.
Please check this page regularly for updates.
MPM Code of Practice and Deanery Plans Guidance
The Pastoral "Desktop Manual" can be found here (password required)
Outline of process and procedures, including documentation required
Bishop's Pastoral Order skeleton
- Bishop's Pastoral Order consultation letter
- Examples of draft proposals and s.17 shortened procedure Orders
- Letter to interested parties under s6 or s21 of the Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011
- Letter to registered patrons under s7(2) to trigger 'restriction'
- Letter to interested parties under s22(2) of the Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011
- Letter to interested parties under s17 (i.e. a shortened procedure Pastoral Order)
- Form P2
- Form P2A
- Form P2B
- Form P10
- Form P20
- Form P24
- Form P24VA
- Form P60
- Form P61DPB
P29Disp - Dispossession letter for all s6 or s21 post 01/07/2018
- P72A - Details on what to do with notices
- P74 - Glossary of terms
- P75 - Letter to newspaper (s44 Schemes only)
- P76 - Church Door Notice - on blue paper
- P76C - newspaper notice (for s44 Schemes only)
- P77 - Proof that the church door notice was displayed - on green paper
- P1000 - Statutory Notice letter for draft Schemes
- P1000BP - letter to the Bishop to get Scheme engrossment x 2 signed
- P1001 - Statutory Notice letter for draft Orders
- P106 - Covering letter for completed Scheme
- P108 - Covering letter for completed Order
- Benefices in Crown patronage
- Letter to be sent by DMPC secretary to other office holders on common tenure (other than incumbents, team vicars and archdeacons)
- Notes on dispossession of the clergy and payment of compensation
- Compensation of Clergy Rules 1970
- P100 - Parish Information Form - for use in some representation matters going to the Mission and Pastoral Committee
- Form P11
- Form P12
- Form P13
- Form P14
C4 Form of Bishop's directions where tombstones, monuments and memorials commemorating deceased persons buried in or beneath the property are to remain in place (and the human remains are not to be disturbed)