Census and deprivation data
We have mapped government statistics onto parish boundaries to produce parish-level census and deprivation information.
- Summary parish census and deprivation statistics (excel file, updated May 2021), based on the 2011 census and the 2019 English indices of deprivation. N.B. this dataset can be explored further on the interactive Church of England parish maps
- Detailed parish census statistics (excel file, updated May 2021), based on the 2011 census, containing information about parish age distribution, ethnicity, religious affiliation, and marital status
- Detailed parish deprivation statistics (excel file, updated May 2021), based on the 2019 English indices of deprivation
To access further census information please visit the Office for National Statistics Census webpages.
Church attendance statistics
Statistics for Mission reports provide a summary of attendance at Church of England services, and numbers of baptisms, marriages, and funerals.
- Statistics for Mission 2019 [2019 diocesan tables (excel)] (published October 2020)
- Statistics for Mission 2018
- Statistics for Mission 2017
- Statistics for Mission 2016
- Statistics for Mission 2015
- Statistics for Mission 2014
- Statistics for Mission 2013
- Statistics for Mission 2012
- Statistics for Mission 2011
Parish finance statistics
Finance Statistics reports provide an overview of the income and expenditure of parishes within the Church of England.
Ministry Statistics reports provide a range of statistics about licensed ministers in the Church of England.
- Ministry Statistics 2018 [2018 diocesan tables (excel)] [commentary from Ministry Division] (published September 2019)
- Ministry Statistics 2017 [2017 diocesan tables (excel)]
- Ministry Statistics 2016 [2016 diocesan tables (excel)]
- Stipendiary Clergy Projections 2015-2035 [cover note from Ministry Division]
- Ministry Statistics 2012-2015 [2012-2015 diocesan tables (excel)]
- Ministry Statistics 2012
- Ministry Statistics 2011
Cathedral Statistics reports provide a summary of attendance at the Church of England's Cathedrals.
Energy Footprint Tool
The Energy Footprint Tool reports a summary of energy data from church buildings in the Church of England.
Attendance statistics from the College Chapels in Oxford, Cambridge and Durham University.
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham College Chapel Survey 2018 (published August 2019)
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham College Chapel Survey 2017
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham College Chapel Survey 2016
- Oxford and Cambridge University College Chapels 2012-13, summary report
- Oxford University College Chapel Statistics 2013
- Cambridge University College Chapel Statistics 2012
Church statistics pre 2011: attendance, finance, ministry
Prior to 2011, Statistics for Mission, Finance, and Ministry statistics were published in a single Church Statistics report. Note that these reports were not necessarily published every year. Reports from 1960 onwards can be found in this section.
- Church Statistics 2010/11
- Church Statistics 2009/10
- Church Statistics 2008/09
- Church Statistics 2007/08
- Church Statistics 2006/07
- Church Statistics 2005/06
- Church Statistics 2004/05
- Church Statistics 2003/04
- Church Statistics 2002
- Church Statistics 2001
- Church Statistics 2000
- Church Statistics 1999
- Church Statistics 1998
- Church Statistics 1997
- Church Statistics 1996
- Church Statistics 1995
- Church Statistics 1994
- Church Statistics 1993
- Church Statistics 1992
- Church Statistics 1991
- Church Statistics 1989
- Church Statistics 1987
- Church Statistics 1985
- Church Statistics 1984
- Church Statistics 1983
- Church Statistics 1982
- Church Statistics 1981
- Church Statistics 1980
- Church Statistics 1979
- Church Statistics 1978
- Church Statistics 1976
- Church Statistics 1973
- Church Statistics 1965
- Church Statistics 1960
Congregational diversity surveys 2014, 2007; Clergy diversity audit 2005.
Everyone Counts, 2014
Everyone Counts was a congregational survey of 36,000 people carried out in 2014 in 600 Church of England churches as part of a long-term commitment to monitoring diversity within the Church. There was a particular focus on ethnicity, disability, and locality.
National Parish Congregation Diversity Monitoring, 2007
Clergy Diversity Audit 2005
- Executive Summary
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Section 1
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Section 2
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 1
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 2
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 3
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 4