Census and deprivation data
We have mapped government statistics onto parish boundaries to produce parish-level census and deprivation information.
- Summary parish census and deprivation statistics (excel file), based on the 2011 census and the 2015 English indices of deprivation (updated January 2019). N.B. this dataset can be explored further on the interactive Church of England parish maps
- Detailed parish census statistics (excel file), based on the 2011 census, containing information about parish age distribution, ethnicity, religious affiliation, and marital status (updated January 2019)
- Detailed parish deprivation statistics (excel file), based on the 2015 English indices of deprivation (updated January 2019)
To access further census information please visit the Office for National Statistics Census webpages.
Church attendance statistics
Statistics for Mission reports provide a summary of attendance at Church of England services, and numbers of baptisms, marriages, and funerals.
Parish finance statistics
Finance Statistics reports provide an overview of the income and expenditure of parishes within the Church of England.In more detail
Ministry Statistics reports provide a range of statistics about licensed ministers in the Church of England.In more detail
- Ministry Statistics 2017 [2017 diocesan tables (excel)] [commentary from Ministry Division] (published August 2018)
- Ministry Statistics 2016 [2016 diocesan tables (excel)] [commentary from Ministry Division]
- Stipendiary Clergy Projections 2015-2035 [cover note from Ministry Division]
- Ministry Statistics 2012-2015 [2012-2015 diocesan tables (excel)]
- Ministry Statistics 2012
- Ministry Statistics 2011
Cathedral Statistics reports provide a summary of attendance at the Church of England's Cathedrals.In more detail
Attendance statistics from the College Chapels in Oxford, Cambridge and Durham University.In more detail
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham College Chapel Survey 2017 (published November 2018)
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham College Chapel Survey 2016
- Oxford and Cambridge University College Chapels 2012-13, summary report
- Oxford University College Chapel Statistics 2013
- Cambridge University College Chapel Statistics 2012
Church statistics pre 2011: attendance, finance, ministry
Prior to 2011, Statistics for Mission, Finance, and Ministry statistics were published in a single Church Statistics report.In more detail
Congregational diversity surveys 2014, 2007; Clergy diversity audit 2005.
Everyone Counts, 2014
Everyone Counts was a congregational survey of 36,000 people carried out in 2014 in 600 Church of England churches as part of a long-term commitment to monitoring diversity within the Church. There was a particular focus on ethnicity, disability, and locality.
National Parish Congregation Diversity Monitoring, 2007
Clergy Diversity Audit 2005
- Executive Summary
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Section 1
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Section 2
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 1
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 2
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 3
- Clergy Diversity Audit 2005, Appendix 4