The godparents’ promises
During the Christening godparents say some very important things, making promises that will last a lifetime. It’s helpful to look at these before the day, so read on to find out more about these promises and how to discover more about what they mean.
In the christening service, you will make some big promises to support your godchild throughout their life. You could talk to your own vicar about what these promises mean, or join with your godchild’s parents when they explore what a christening means. If you’re wondering what these promises might look like in practice, or how you can begin, explore our links for some simple ideas.
These are the first things you’ll be asked in the christening service:-
- “Will you pray for them, draw them by your example into the community of faith and walk with them in the way of Christ?”
- “Will you care for them, and help them to take their place within the life and worship of Christ’s Church?”
To the questions above, the parents and godparents answer: “With the help of God we will”.
You will then be asked some questions which you answer on behalf of a child who is too young to answer for themselves:
- You will be asked to turn away from all things that are against God – the wrong in our own lives and to stand against the wrong in the world.
- You will then be asked to turn positively towards Jesus, the companion and guide for the amazing journey ahead.
These are all big questions and big promises, so you might like to take time to explore them for yourself. Help is always at hand for you:-
- In the service itself, the vicar will pray for God to help you in your role as a godparent.
- Wherever you live, the church will be there for you with help and advice about godparenting if ever you need it.
- We’ll keep this website up to date with support and advice which you can visit at any time.