Preparing for the big day
Being a godparent is very special. Before the day it’s worth thinking about the part you will play in the service and then in your godchild’s life. Whether this is your first or newest godchild, here are a few tips on getting ready.
You’re bound to be delighted about being a godparent, but it is also a big responsibility, which will last a lifetime. So there’s lots of ideas here to help you find out more about the service and your part in it…
- Have a look at what will happen in the service and find out about the promises you will be making and what being a godparent means.
- Get in touch with your godchild’s family. You might be able to offer some practical help with the preparations. They’ll be pleased you are looking forward to the day.
- Think about what it means to be a godparent. Have a look through this site for ideas about the kind of things you might do with and for your godchild over the years.
- You might like to go along to church before the service, perhaps with your new godchild and their family, or for yourself. You can ask the vicar any questions you have about the service and what it means to be a godparent.
- If you want to buy a gift have a look here for some new ideas as well as more traditional presents.
- Take a moment to think about your godchild, and pray for God’s blessing as they start this new journey of faith. You can light a candle.