Preparing for the big day
Getting ready for your child’s christening is exciting. But there’s also a lot to think about and do. Whether you have done this before or not, read on for some helpful ideas and tips.
It can seem that there is a lot to organize for a christening. But remember the important thing is that you and your family are there on the day to see your child baptized at their christening.
- Have a look at what will happen in the service and the words that you will be saying. The step by step guide to the service may help.
- It’s a great idea to go along to church or to a church toddler group before the day so you can meet some of the people. Some of them might be thinking about having a christening too, or have already had their child christened.
- Take the opportunity to go along when your church invites you to find out more about having your child baptized at the christening.
- Enjoy the party – a key part of the day is being with family and friends.
- Think about what you and your child are going to wear. Many parents like their child to have a traditional christening gown, but it’s not compulsory and there may be a special outfit that they’d be more comfortable in – that’s fine. Like any celebration event, many families like to dress up for the occasion too. There are no hard and fast rules – choose what you’ll be happy and comfortable wearing on the day.
- Get in touch with your godparents and tell them what will be happening. They might like to know about this website.
- Don’t forget photos – your child will be able to look back on them when they’re older and talk to you about what their christening means.
- Why not take a few moments to think about your child and your family. Ask God to be close to all of you as you start this amazing journey of faith. You might like to pop into church to light a candle and say a prayer or light a virtual one online.