It is compiled and published by the Archbishops' Council.
How do I buy a copy?
Crockford's Clerical Directory is published digitally and in print by Church House Publishing. Crockford Online offers free searches and access to some information, but a subscription is required to see full biographical and contact details.
Crockford's has been published in printed form since 1858, and the latest edition is available to order on the Church House Publishing website.
Appearing in Crockford's Clerical Directory
Who is eligible?
Upon ordination, all Anglican clergy are eligible to appear in Crockford's Clerical Directory in print and online. Biographical entries continue to develop over time into a full historical record of their ministerial journey.
There is no charge to appear in Crockford and we will not publish your entry without your consent.
Appearing in Crockford
Updating your entry
Complete and return the Biographical Details form to update your details for your entry.
Guidance on filling in the Biographical Details form
- Title - clergy are requested to indicate their preferred style of address – Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms/Dr/Prof
- Christian Names - please indicate any preferred name
- Alternative Names - if you particularly wish to have an alternative name recorded, please give details, e.g. maiden names of married female clergy, or names relating to religious orders
The details we require are the full names (and recognised abbreviations) of honours, degrees (including honorary degrees) and qualifications, the year received and, where applicable, the awarding institution. Fellowships and memberships of learned societies, academies and professional institutions also are included.
'Others' (on the form) refers to professional qualifications and membership of professional, learned or religious societies.
Please provide the name of the institutions(s) attended and either the year of entry or the year in which a degree was awarded, if applicable.
Parochial appointments are described in terms of benefice, rather than church or parish, and benefice names will be abbreviated as appropriate.
It is not Crockford policy to include any of the following:
- Informal local arrangements or areas of special responsibility
- Emeritus appointments
- Licence/permission to officiate when another appointment was held at the same time
- Commissary appointments
- Examining chaplaincies and secular appointments (other than with registered charities or in education)
Throughout the form, please use the full title and recognised abbreviation for non-standard information.
Please write to:
Crockford's Clerical Directory
Great Smith Street
LONDON SW1P 3AZ
Or use the contact form below:
Archival Enquiries for Crockford
Historical enquiries concerning individual members of the clergy recorded in Crockford's Clerical Directory are answered by Lambeth Palace Library.