Parental Leave

As a clergy office holder you have the same legal rights to parental leave and pay as an employee. You are entitled to claim statutory parental leave if you have a baby or adopt a child.

Talk to your diocesan office about their policy for parental leave. They will also be able to advise on what you need to do about arranging cover while you are off work. Please refer to your diocesan website and/or clergy handbook or talk to your diocesan HR advisor if you need any further help or guidance.

We will make any claim for statutory parental leave on your behalf but you need to make sure you send the appropriate paperwork to your diocesan office as soon as possible so they can forward it on to us.  If we do not receive this paperwork in time it will mean your diocesan office will not be able to claim money back from HMRC and may affect the level of stipend you receive during your leave.

There are 4 different types of statutory parental pay and leave available:

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP)
Statutory Paternity Pay (SPP)
Shared Parental Pay (ShPP)

The information above is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of writing, if any of the information is not clear or is out of date please contact us. 

For the latest information please visit the government's website