Energy Performance Certificates and Churches

Parochial Church Councils leasing space in a church or a church hall might need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The rules around this have special provisions for certain building types, including listed buildings, and there are circumstances where an EPC is not needed. These could either be clear cut but may also depend on the cost of adapting a building to meet the EPC rating or the impact on the character of a listed building where it is adapted to meet the otherwise relevant EPC rating.

There is an exemption for religious use, and this guidance is specifically for a lease for another user. For these regulations the building being consecrated, or not, is not a relevant consideration.

Church Energy Performance Certificates Guidance 

Energy Performance Certificate