We work with and advise churches and dioceses on care, conservation and development of church buildings. We work with government to advise on policies that affect church buildings.
When should you consult us?
We expect to be consulted for:
- Works that will make big changes to grade I or II* listed churches
- Some works that will make big changes to grade II churches
- The conservation of historic furnishings and objects
- The disposal of historic furnishings and objects
- New art in churches
Your Diocesan Advisory Committee will tell you when to contact us.
We are also happy to give advice to dioceses about projects where works have a big missional impact (e.g. a resourcing church or other church plant).
Our meetings for 2022 are as follows:
- 20th January 2022
- 17th March 2022
- 12th May 2022
- 7th July 2022
- 1st September 2022
- 20th October 2022
- 8th December 2022
The latest date that the Council can receive a case for inclusion for these meetings are as follows:
- January Meeting - 27th December 2021
- March Meeting - 21st February 2022
- May Meeting - 12th April 2022
- July Meeting -13th June 2022
- September Meeting -8th August 2022
- October Meeting - 26th September 2022
- December Meeting - 14th November 2022
The Council aims to acknowledge receipt of casework promptly provided it is sent to [email protected] or via the Online Faculty System
From the 12th of April 2021, the Church Buildings Council and its officers have begun to resume site visits. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, these site visits will be arranged based on priority and will follow the guidance and criteria set out in our Covid Site visit policy. This document will be reviewed as legislation changes.
The council has 23 members