We work with and advise churches and dioceses on care, conservation and development of church buildings. We work with government to advise on policies that affect church buildings.
When should you consult us?
We expect to be consulted for:
- Works that will make big changes to grade I or II* listed churches
- Some works that will make big changes to grade II churches
- The conservation of historic furnishings and objects
- The disposal of historic furnishings and objects
- New art in churches
Your Diocesan Advisory Committee will tell you when to contact us.
We are also happy to give advice to dioceses about projects where works have a big missional impact (e.g. a resourcing church or other church plant).
Our meetings for 2021 are as follows:
- 21st January 2021 with a casework submission deadline of 28th December 2020
- 18th March 2021 with a casework submission deadline of 22nd February 2021
- 13th May 2021 with a casework submission deadline of 19th April 2021
- 8th July 2021 with a casework submission deadline of 14th June 2021
- 2nd September 2021 with a casework submission deadline of 9th August 2021
- 21st October 2021 with a casework submission deadline of 27th September 2021
- 9th December 2021 with a casework submission deadline of 15th November 2021
The latest date that the Council can receive a case for inclusion for these meetings are as follows:
- January Meeting - 28th December 2020
- March Meeting - 22nd February 2021
- May Meeting - 19th April 2021
- July Meeting -14th June 2021
- September Meeting -9th August 2021
- October Meeting - 27th September 2021
- December Meeting - 15th November 2021
The Council aims to acknowledge receipt of casework promptly provided it is sent to [email protected] or via the Online Faculty System
From the 5th November 2020, due to Covid-19, the Church Buildings Council and its officers will not be undertaking any site visits. This policy will be reviewed when Government guidance is updated.
The council has 23 members